Here we go.

18 October 2009

Boss

Saturday was boss! ATM & I went to Hot Springs to mosey, look @ antique shops, have a bier & enjoy some of the documentary film festival.

I discovered another antique store which made me way too excited to be a (soon-to-be) homeowner! Moonlight Antiques is well-organized; they have things categorized and beautifully displayed. It was so difficult to not buy anything. It won't be long before I have my dream granny house ya'll! But, seriously, I love modern utilitarian design in addition to antiquities, so I'm hoping to find a happy medium. Dare I dream? I'd like the house to be featured in a magazine one day. I'm tossing my hat into the low-budget, low-income interior design arena. So, I'll be sure to post plenty of boring before/after photos.
Anyway, even if you don't buy anything @ Moonlight, just looking at their stuff is fun.

After that, we went to Brau Haus for a cold one before heading to the documentary film fest. While we sat at the bar, we decided that we'd eat there for dinner, between the films we wanted to see. I knew it would be underwhelming, but I guess I was in the mood for some ickle bland brown n' white food.

I didn't know this, but Pres. Bill Clinton was in town. Too, Rep. Mike Ross's office is in the area. It made me very very happy to see people fighting for public option in health care reform. I only caught the tail-end of this exhibition:


Our dinner @ Brau Haus. As we suspected, was awful, but we had to be sure. We agreed we would never eat there again. My entree was eerily similar to the appetizer!

Here I am, waiting for our next film @ the Malco Theater. (Photo by ATM):

We watched a total of 5 documentaries. There was only one good one, I Am a Man: From Memphis, a Lesson In Life, and it didn't blow me away. I loathe the other documentaries that we saw so much that I won't even mention them. Despite it all, though, I had a really good time! I will probably go next year and the year after that and so on. I think I just love hanging out in Hot Springs with ATM.

On Sunday, I woke up bright(-eyed & bushy-tailed) & early to buy home cleaning supplies. Then, I paced the living room until ATM woke up so we could go to Low3's and buy a ceiling fan/light fixture. We went to Olive St. House & waited for Zach to show; I cleaned, they did the installing.

While waiting, a neighbor came over to chat us up. I don't mind people being nosy & trying to figure out who's new to the neighborhood, but this guy rubbed me the wrong way. He told us that "this is a quiet neighborhood" no less than 20 times. Yeah, WE GET IT. Too, he "forbade" us to cut the crepe myrtle tree in the back. He told us we needed to attend the Park Hill Neighborhood meetings (And maybe we should, so we can shoot everyone dirty looks!) & join the Yahoo Park Hill online group. He also confessed that he's been in and out of the house via the unlocked window in the back. He said that the previous owner gave him the authority to do so. Without directly saying so, he admitted that it may've been him or other neighbors who made out with the light fixtures. What they hell, hey? Well, we sent him a message by locking the windows: It stops now. Every time my mind wanders back to that event, I get so damn hot under the collar. Thankfully we know some lovely & wonderful people who live nearby.

Anyway, I made some headway on the very disgusting (& ugly) bathroom:

Zach installing our new fan/light:


At one point, we were standing around the kitchen, hatin' on the cabinets. Zach suggested demolishing the cabinets RIGHT THERE. I really wanted to! I felt this amazing adrenaline jolt through my spine! Obviously, we have to wait for closing day, but I wouldn't be surprised if we started disassembling them before the ink dried on the contract!

I've got a simple idea of removing the cabinets and having an open shelf system with a subway tile back-splash. Simple & clean. And NOT A RENTAL. The inspiration:


So, we've got our work cut out for us. The house needs to be deeply cleaned before we start moving in; I think it's been unoccupied for better part of a year or more. I feel that if we can properly clean & disinfect the bathroom, our bedroom, and the kitchen, we will be able to deal with a bit of disorder in the rest of the house. We've been running up there in the evenings cleaning and cleaning and cleaning. I'm hoping that the musty smell will start going away.

We received our first house-warming gift! Zach did right by us with this one:


I am a fan of the Mexican folk art associated with Dia de los Muertos, which my birthday happens to fall on. And now I have inspiration to decorate the phone nook. Brava!

When we got back home from working on Olive St., I did a little more packing. I threw away a sugar skull I made last year. It's been sitting on the toilet; it says 'jiggle handle'. It made me sad to see it in the trash can. We're leaving! Aaaah!:


We've got 13 more nights @ 508 Willow! I've got an overwhelming sadness/anxiety/excitement/happiness/confusion/exhaustion thing going on. I really cannot wait to be past the big move. And I hope I'm not projecting, but I think I am more anxious about moving than SOLO and Hot Dog will ever be. Stress!

We're having dinner with friends this evening; I hope it does the trick of taking our minds off of things for a minute. I'll be making experimental potato tacos!


3 comments:

kmhd said...

Oooh, another place to add to the Hot Spring’s retail repertoire. You’ll have to let me tag along sometime!

Um, that food looks very ungood. How do they stay in business? They’re not really a BAR bar. I remember the bartender saying they wanted to keep it family friendly. Oh, America’s palette confuses me.

I haven’t been to the Film Festival in years. (Not since the Davide Ramsay years!) This one kind of came and went—I didn’t hear a thing about it.

Okay, you need to identify said neighbor and his domicile. As previously discussed, I will make my presence known.

I’ve been rethinking your bathroom. We should get rid of all of the tile and tile board and drywall it, paint it and maybe put up some wainscot or other tile. We can keep the tile in the tub for now until we find a better tile. Also, there are folks that remove sealant, paint and then repaint and reseal tubs. Duh! The tub is sturdy and wonderful (and is not leaving that room unless you knock out a wall.)

Yesh, Zach is very inspiring, motivating and capable. I have the best roommate ever!

OMG, OMG, OMG! I LOVE LOWE’S. The End.

nicole said...

I had to stop dead-in-my-tracks whilst reading to comment here: That is one SUPER HOT photo of you. I am loving those curls, those glasses, and that smile. OK, going back to finish reading now... sorry... somebody (me) had to say SOMETHIN'.

AMD & KMHD said...

Wow, thanks Nicole!

KMHD: We will talk about demolition. I mean, interior design.

Blog Archive